Saturday, July 24, 2010

Three Favourite Prayers

Originating in Great Britain at Mac's blog address at http://mulier-fortis.blogspot.com/, there is a prayer meme making the rounds of  this virtual world for which Father John Abberton has "tagged"yours truly: it is an honour for which I thank him.  The rules of the meme are these:
"Name your three favourite prayers, and explain why they're your favourites.Then tag five bloggers - give them a link, and then go and tell them they have been tagged. Finally, tell the person who tagged you that you've completed the meme. The Liturgy and the Sacraments are off limits here. I'm more interested in people's favourite devotional prayers."
 Here are my three choices:
1) Written by Saint Ignatius of Loyola, who is very dear to me, as a meditation on the immensity of the Love of God:
Suscipe
'Receive, O Lord, all my liberty. Take my memory, my understanding, and my entire will. Whatsoever I have or hold, You have given me; I give it all back to You and surrender it wholly to be governed by Your will. Give me only Your love and Your grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.' (Spiritual Exercises, #234)

2) Saint Raphael is another one of my favorite saints. Here is a prayer to ask his help:
O Raphael, lead us towards those we are waiting for, those who are waiting for us! Raphael, Angel of Happy Meetings, lead us by the hand toward those we are looking for! May all our movements, all their movements, be guided by your Light and transfigured by your Joy.
Angel Guide of Tobias, lay the request we now address to you at the Feet of Him on whose unveiled Face you are privileged to gaze. Lonely and tired, crushed by the separations and sorrows of earth, we feel the need of calling to you and of pleading for the protection of your wings, so that we may not be as strangers in the Province of Joy, all ignorant of the concerns of our country.
Remember the weak, you who are strong--you whose home lies beyond the region of thunder, in a land that is always peaceful, always serene, and bright with the resplendent glory of God. 


3) Since I have a great love for Our Lady, this prayer of Saint Maximilian Kolbe is one of my favorites:
My life, my every moment, my death,
Where, when and how it will befall me,
My entire eternity:
It is all Thine,
O Immaculata!
Take everything into Thy hands,
as it pleases Thee.

The five bloggers I tag to carry on this meme are:
Dymphna at http://dymphnaswell.blogspot.com/
Magister Christianus at http://bedlamorparnassus.blogspot.com/
John Whitehead at http://onceiwasacleverboy.blogspot.com/   
David Werling at http://arsorandi.blogspot.com/
Andrew at http://recusantcorner.blogspot.com/

Another one of my favorite prayers, one to my Guardian Angel,  is posted below. May God bless you and Our Lady protect you all.



  

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful prayers KS! I love the Suspice as well, and had never heard the other two before-thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tag! I haven't done a meme in a long time!

    I love that first prayer. I thought it was one of the St. Teresas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Anne; I'm so glad that you liked these. Thank you, Andrew: you made two fine choices in your "linkees", and I really liked the prayers you posted. And you're welcome, and thank you, Dymphna: the prayers you posted are beautiful, and so is the picture. May God bless you and may Our Lady protect you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ones indeed-I especially loved the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for writing, Oddyoddyo13. Did you see that I tagged you first for this meme? May God bless you and Our Lady protect you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KS,
    These are lovely! I especially loved the last one by St M. Kolbe which is a prayer I've never seen before.

    ReplyDelete